Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Ionian Sea



Torre Lapillo is another beach in Puglia that we've gone to a thousand times. It is located in the Gulf of Taranto which leads out to the Ionian Sea. My family used to get a house at the beach with relatives for years when we were younger and we always had a great time. The water here is a perfect blue and very clear. I always tell people that you could walk out to where the water reaches your neck and look down and be able to see each of your toes.

Not only are the beaches a great time during the day, but at night the restaurants are packed, shops are bustling and the streets are overflowing with locals and tourists. Even though the drive is a bit further than those beaches on the Adriatic, it's totally worth every extra minute spent in the car getting there.

3 comments:

  1. That looks sooo beautiful, and your description makes me want to go right now! My husband's father is from Puglia, so I'm always hoping we can vacation there someday soon to see where the "Sassis" are from. I like the idea of going somewhere a bit off the beaten path (as far as Americans are concerned, at least). Thanks for this beautiful photo and the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily!!!

    Kimb,
    It would be wonderful to go to Puglia and visit where your husband's family is from. I know I' biased, but Puglia is incredible and has so much to offer. Thanks for checking out the post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails