Monday, August 3, 2020

Simple Chocolate Cake


I woke this morning thinking about chocolate cake. But not just any chocolate cake, something simple with no frills ingredients that I would have on hand so I could make it from scratch. After researching my go-to, Pinterest, I decided to mix and match to make my own version from the many that I looked at online. I also wanted to make only one 8inch cake pan worth of cake too. This way, this little experiment of mine wouldn't be too much of a waste in the event my taste-testers weren't satisfied. 

Cake Recipe #1
Ingredients: 

1 cup flour, sifted
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (if you don't have applesauce, use 1/2 cup vegetable oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk (I did not have buttermilk so did a substitute - 2 tsp apple cider vinegar added to a measuring glass, filled remainder of glass to 1/2 cup line with half & half)
1/2 cup hot water

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8inch cake pan with butter or equivalent. 
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and gently whisk together. 
3. In a separate bowl, add the remaining ingredients: egg, applesauce, buttermilk or buttermilk substitute and water. Mix together until just combined. 
4. Gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and using a mixer on low, beat for a few minutes until smooth. Pour into prepared baking pan. 
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
6. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Gently sift powered sugar on top before serving. 

So, right away I'm going to admit that if you like sweet desserts, this might not be the dessert for you. We like chocolate in this house and are pretty particular about our sweets. While this cake is good, it wasn't sweet enough for us. Also, it has a fudge-like consistency, which is very good because we love fudge in this house, but again, not as sweet as I'm used to with a box mix but still good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails