Saturday, January 19, 2013

It's a shame the second child gets zero attention


When I was pregnant the second time around, I was so aware of the amount of time I would get one-on-one with each of the kids. Meaning, the little time I would be able to devote to either because now there were two. Two of everything to do now and only two hands to do it all with. I was worried Sofia would feel neglected now having to share the spotlight and that bambino (bambina as it turned out for us) #2  would receive less one-on-one since I had another person that needed more of my attention. Sofia was only just 2 when Olivia came along meaning not yet in preschool, not completely potty-trained and still not an independent toddler. I mean she was 2, a baby still herself.

So we went along and did our best to give Sofia the attention we thought she needed more at that time, Olivia was an awesome newborn and infant and made it easier for us to be able to do things with Sofia. Olivia was happy to be in the carrier, stroller, a bouncy chair or even just laying next to us on the floor while we played games with Sofia, helped her with her letters, shapes and colors, etc. But I still worried that because Olivia was the second out (the girls define themselves like this - Sofia says she came out first and Olivia second), that she would feel sad to not have that one-on-one like Sofia did. In reality though, she didn't know any different so I don't think it's made the impact that I so worried about in the beginning.

These days with Sofia in Kindergarten 5 days, two of those days being full days, Olivia has me all to herself. Or at least when she's not in her own pre-school class two mornings a week. Still, there is a lot of time during the week when it's just Olivia and I at the house, running errands, or spending time with friends. She misses Sofia and asks about her from time to time during the days, especially the full days without her big sister around, but I feel like she totally digs it too. It's like she knows that Sofia had her time with me and now she's getting it too.



And I feel great having this special one-on-one time with her. I'm not ready to rush this time with her since I didn't rush it those first few years of Sofia's life. This Fall, she will be in pre-school only 3 mornings a week and Sofia will be in First Grade and YIKES! 5 Full Days!!! My big girl gone from the house for all those hours Monday thru Friday! That's for a whole other post though. This one is devoted to Olivia Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails