Friday, April 21, 2017

Roasted Chickpeas


I've been on a decent health kick for awhile now. Trying to eat more veggies, less sugars and adding more fiber, protein and just all around good vitamins to my day. Now that doesn't mean I still don't indulge from time to time in my ultimate favorite - CHOCOLATE! But I feel with all the extra doses of healthy I'm getting it's ok to splurge from time to time. 

I love chickpeas! Who doesn't? If you like hummus and I would gather most do, you then love chickpeas since that's the big ingredient. I've attempted making my own hummus in the past and not too happy with the result but that's not stopping me from trying out other chickpea recipes. 

Behold - Roasted Chickpeas! Easy, easy, easy! I made this first batch with just a few staple pantry items and I can't wait to try out other ingredients in the near future. I also used dried chickpeas because I had that on hand and just had to add the overnight soaking step to be able to roast them the next afternoon. 

Ingredients: 

Chickpeas - 1 can rinsed, drained and plotted dry with a cloth OR 1/4 bag dried chickpeas soaked overnight, drained and plotted dry
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt

Directions: 

Set oven to 450 degrees.  Place chickpeas in a resealable plastic bag, add olive oil and both salts to the bag. Shake well so evenly coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup) and roll out your chickpeas. They don't want to be piled on top of one another but they can be touching. Chickpeas need loving too. Allow to cook for 20 minutes. You'll want to check them every 6-8 minutes to shake them around a bit to get evenly roasted. After the 20 minutes, try one and see if it's to your liking. If you like them crunchier, give them another 5 minutes. 

I placed them in a glass bowl and left them on the counter all morning and just grab a couple here and there. But you can store them in a container if you're going to eat them within the next few days. 

Easy and simple. That's how healthy snacking should be!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails