Monday, April 9, 2018

Earrings!


Before Sofia began Kindergarten, I scheduled an appointment for her to get her ears pierced. Being very much into jewelry and feminine, she was excited and couldn't wait to do it. The day before she told me she didn't want to do it anymore. Rather than just force her to go through with it which would have resulted in screaming on her part and exhaustion on my part to try and convince her, I said she could get them done when she was ready. 

6 years later...Sofia tells me in the Fall of her 5th grade year that for her 11th birthday she wants to get her ears pierced. She talks it up on occasion in the months leading up to her birthday month and lo and behold a week after turning 11, my girl gets her ears pierced. I never really gave my thought to one way or another truthfully, if she wanted her ears pierced fine and if not ever, that's fine too. But I guess what I do care about most is that she came to this realization that she wanted it done on her own. I didn't get her ears pierced as a baby where she would have had no say in the matter, I waited until I thought a good age and milestone (beginning Kindergarten) and no dice. Finally, on her own she decided she wanted it done and she did it. Didn't flinch, reminds me in the morning and night to help with turning her earrings and putting the cleaning solution on and voila! We have an ear-pierced gal in the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails