Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pasta making in Puglia - orecchiette


Girls spent a nice morning with Nonna Lisa in Mesagne making homemade pasta and they loved it. What's not to love though when playing with dough and flour and getting to do basically whatever you want, including eating the raw dough. Which is something I always did as a little girl (and still do actually) so I loved seeing them ask for more to both play with and eat!


They made a pasta particular to the region of Puglia, orecchiette, little ears. Roll out some dough into a slender tube, cut off about an inch and roll with your thumb and a knife. Easier than it sounds.  My mom is a pro.


Sofia got the rolling part down pretty good. Love that she came appropriately dressed for making pasta, this little girl of mine loves jewelry.


Olivia was very serious about helping out and while neither really got the thumb/knife roll down to accurately make the orecchiette, they rolled that pasta like it was their job and had a lot of fun.


And I loved watching. This is a very fond memory I have of my own, sitting with my own Nonna while she made homemade pasta in the very same kitchen and using the very same method of throwing the pasta board down on two chairs and pulling up a stool. I would sit next to her and we would talk and while she always made 20 orecchiette to my own 3, I know she loved the time she spent with me doing it together. And she didn't mind either when I stole one (or ten) pieces to eat.


Glad my girls got to experience making homemade pasta with Nonna Lisa this summer. She makes homemade pasta here in America too, but there's something about having had this experience this summer in Italy.

This plate is probably older than I am. And I adore it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails