Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fall is in the house


One of my favorite times of year. Autumn. I love the air getting cooler, the leaves changing color, pulling out my boots and scarves and decorating around the house. Thankfully, my girls really appreciate a good seasonal makeover so I get a lot of encouragement to do crafts and decorating from them.

This was my first attempt at a burlap wreath and from further away I think it looks pretty good. Up close you can see where I should have "bunched" more. Technical term. But as far as crafts go, it was super easy.

What you'll need:
wire wreath frame
burlap ribbon
ribbon to hang
decoration to attach (but not permanently)

What to do:
Attach one end of the burlap ribbon through a point on the wreath. Then start weaving the burlap in and out of the frame. I put the burlap underneath the frame and pulled sections through to make a loop and tried "bunching" them together as much as possible. I definitely could have used more burlap to make the frame more full, but I'm happy with how it turned out for a first timer.

Oh and I picked up some flair from the craft store for $1 so I just tucked it right in. Don't do anything permanent though so you can just remove and add something different for another holiday or season.



Burlap stocks going up! Another little craft and very easy to do. I made three of these at craft night just last week. Catching up with girlfriends AND using a hot glue gun, now that's multitasking!

What you'll need:
pillar candles, I used 3 3inch candles
burlap, ribbon, flair
hot glue gun

What to do:
Ok, this is the easiest thing ever. Warm up your hot glue gun and decide on the style for your candle. I did 3 different styles. Wrap burlap around candle and glue the ends together. Don't glue the burlap to the candle because if you actually intend to use the candle, you'll have some issues when it begins burning down.
Attach whatever decor you like.
It's that easy!



Simple and I think adds a nice touch to the seasonal decor in the house.


Sofia made this at the end of 1st grade and I have yet to put it away because I think it's so cute. They were given an animal and had to build their habitat. SO adorable.


I know, I know. Fall is for apple and pumpkin baking and I'll get there I promise. No one likes apple or pumpkin anything in the Fall more than me. But for now I was thinking of my girls and how much they love sprinkles. So, Halloween inspired sprinkle cookies it was!

Easy recipe and very tasty!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup sprinkles

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
3. In a larger bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined. Stir in sprinkles until evenly distributed (I did this by hand).
4. Roll one tablespoon of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets leaving about an inch in between cookies. 
5. Bake for 10 minutes. (They won't seem completely ready but they will bake a little bit longer once you take them out of the oven and let them rest on the baking sheet).
6. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy the happy smiles on your family's face!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails