Thursday, September 8, 2011

Matera


Anthony and I spent a good part of a day on an incredible road trip to the ancient town of Matera. Just a couple hours from Mesagne in the region of Basilicata, Matera was quite the experience. We both went into the trip not knowing too much of the town, except for the fact that some scenes from 'The Passion of the Christ' were filmed here, amongst other movies too. We didn't except to see Mel Gibson walking around but figured it was going to be a bit on the rocky side. Well, it's basically housed within a small canyon and just an overwhelming site.



We did A LOT of walking and most of it was up- and down-hill.






The homes are built right into the mountain and just a site to see.


The view from the piazza near the church. Gorgeous.


The cathedral of Matera



The view from the other side of the town, more homes and churches built right into the stone...


and the caves in the cliffs.






Some wall "art" found throughout the ancient town that I just loved. There were many more pictures of our day in Matera, but I figured I posted so many as it is. They don't do the town justice because it was quite a spectacular place to tour.

2 comments:

  1. Love these!! what a gorgeous place.

    I love that you and I both apparently have a thing for big, old, beautiful doorways.

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em! The place was so incredible and I'm so happy we decided to make a day trip out of it.

    Yes, big old doors and me go hand in hand! Great minds!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails