Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sewing 101

I completed my very first sewing project and I must say, I am quite happy with the result. It was a lot more time-consuming than I initially anticipated, but well worth every minute.

My mom's friend is a master at sewing and she walked me through what I needed to do for the valance. Without her I doubt it would have come out nearly as beautiful as it did! She suggested I sew a piece of cheap fabric to the back to give it a more finished look and to add another piece of fabric to the top hem for a loophole for the rod. Two steps I hadn't even thought of but am very happy that I completed.

Cost of fabric: $6
Total prep/sewing time: 3 hours

I sewed a piece of sheer fabric to the backside and a strip along the top to act as a loophole for the rod

Finito!



My finished product...I am so proud!




Next on the agenda is to make two valances for Sofia's big girl room...here we go again!

4 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I have a pile of projects I need to do that involve sewing. I need to start tackling it. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    It looks great! If you ever have any questions please feel free to call me, I sew all the time.

    Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emily and Colleen! It was fun to do on my own and my mom is lending me her sewing machine...it will be fun to see if I do anymore sewing. And Colleen, I just may take you up on the question offer!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! You did an awesome job. I love the strip on the back for the rod ... I hadn't thought of doing that before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails