Friday, April 24, 2009

Simple Sewing - Valance How-To



The valance I made for our family room is finished!!! It came out pretty good if I do say so myself. The before picture is not actually what it looked like but we took down the old drapes and threw out the blinds before I thought to take a picture. But we have a simple vinyl shade there now for privacy at night, white sheers and a red print valance. I love it! Sofia also approves and she said to us "looks real cute."


The before window


The finished product



Sewing a valance can be super simple.

What you need:
- sewing machine
- fabric
- coordinating thread

I did not line this valance as I did the first one I made mainly because I didn't think it needed it and would take less time.

What to do:
1. Wash and iron fabric.
2. Measure window and cut fabric. Our window is 6 feet across so I measured for 7.5 feet to allow for hemming and slight shirring.
3. Hem all sides of the fabric.
4. Pin down fabric along the top to measure for curtain rod hole. Pinning down every few inches helps to make it easier to sew in a straight line. It's a lot harder than it looks!
5. Sew along the pins, trim any loose thread and VOILA! You have your valance!

2 comments:

  1. I think I can do this. Now all I need is a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - you could totally do this. Super simple and the best part is you can get fabric for practically nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails