Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Addicted to crepes



One of my many goals is to make the perfect crepe. I have no interest in climbing any mountains, swimming any vast body of water or wrestling a rhino...I just want to make a finger-licking-good crepe.

When in Italy, I usually eat one nutella crepe every night and enjoy every bite. Be warned; however, based on my experience, Puglia is the best place for crepes. When we were in Abruzzo, Anthony bought me a crepe at the beach. The recipe had to be different because it didn't have the same flavor and consistency as the ones from my hometown.

This summer, I decided that I would try to make them at home and enjoy them year-round. It may take some experimenting, but I think this recipe is a good starting point. I'll let you know how it goes.

Basic Crepe Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
nutella for spreading

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Spoon nutella onto crepe and fold into cone shape. Serve hot and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. We love nutella crepes at my house. I'm sure they aren't the same as the ones you can get in Italy, but we don't know any better! ;-) Did you know that there are crepe makers? I've been told to check at thrift stores ... people tend to get rid of them when they don't realize what they have.
    I'm loving all the pictures of Italy. Keep them coming. Sounds/Looks like it was a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails