Friday, January 20, 2017

seek the light

San Cosimo, Puglia, Italia

Whenever we visit San Cosimo, I enjoy walking over to this little alcove of the sanctuary. There are rarely people milling about this space and I guess looking at it, why would there be? There's no paintings on the old stone walls, no statues to pay respect to and only one very small and not so comfortable bench. The planter doesn't even have a plant in it most of the time I've visited. Nothing to draw guests to this space of the grounds.

Except me. Personally I like that no one is rarely in my viewfinder when I visit yearly and snap the same picture I did on my previous trip. I like being able to catch the sun's rays bounce off the columns and produce the most magnificent hue on the stone walls. It's quiet in this space as compared to the rest of San Cosimo that's bustling with visitors on the weekends. For a few minutes I stand in this space and just take in the calm, the quiet, the peace of what the sanctuary means to me. Not the crowds trying to get into the church to pay their respects to Saints Cosimo and Damiano, or those trying to find a place to sit on the quasi-stadium seating stone pews at the outdoor church or the open air market nearby that I've always found odd. No, this nearly always secluded narrow alcove where the light beckons me is my spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails