Thursday, September 2, 2010

A trip to Castelli, Abruzzo


After our visit to San Gabriele, we headed up the mountain a few more miles to visit the small town of Castelli. Castelli is gorgeous. Perched on the side of a mountain, narrow cobblestone streets and alleyways, cute little restaurants and pubs speckled about the town and a spectacular view of the valleys below. All you could really want from a tiny town in Abruzzo. And I forgot to mention the pottery that comes from this town...beyond amazing!


And our girls just had the best time there that morning. We strolled up and down the little streets, had a snack and took in all the wonder of this old town.










I've taken a picture of this corner house every year since visiting Castelli for the first time in 2004. Last year the owner of the house gave me a tour and next year I HAVE to remember to take her the pictures I've taken of her home. I wonder if she would rent the place to me one day? Even if just for a week, it would be incredible to stay there and really soak up the energy of the place.


Right on the outskirts of the town, is a small stream and waterfall that this year was gushing thanks to all the rain Abruzzo had in the Spring. Sofia was a little hesitant to get too close to the railing (good girl!) but loved taking it all in. Olivia just sat happily in her stroller the entire visit to Castelli. I'm sure the same thing won't happen on our next visit there now that she's a pro at this walking thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails