Thursday, February 10, 2011

Knock, Knock


Everything about Italy fascinates me. Maybe because my family is Italian and we still have many ties to it or maybe because it's just perfectly wonderful. The last few years that we've visited, I've become obsessed with one thing or another. Sometimes it's the particulars of Mesagne's Centro Storico and other times it's Abruzzo's majestic valleys. Each time we visit, there's something new to be explored.  And document with my camera.

For several trips now I've inadvertently made quite the collection of door knockers. They're not particularly obvious to everyone unless it's something crazy, like say...a hand reaching out to you. Those are more common than you would think. But what I love too are those really old ones, with rust building up and incredibly worn. You can tell that home received a ton of visitors at one time or another.

Italy, in my opinion, is becoming incredibly modern. It seems as if each time we visit you see that everywhere you look, something old is getting replaced for something new. Really, the same can be said for anywhere. But there's hardly a need for a door knocker anymore because most homes or offices have buzzers or bells. Maybe that's due to places getting bigger and a knock not being sufficient enough for announcing your presence. Cue the jolting buzzer sound to definitely rattle you to answer your door.

But I think there's something to be admired in the heavy iron door knockers. Not only are there so many unique designs to choose from, but you can become inspired and have your own designed for you. And maybe you are partial to the ding-dong of a bell or the buzzing of a buzzer, no reason not to have both a knocker and a buzzer. Let your guest decide which he or she would like to use.

Now, I'm off to try and decide on a door knocker for my parent's house in Mesagne. Maybe I can convince my mom to add one to one of the doors. Even if just for decoration, I think it would add a great touch of personality. Think I can convince her to let me have one designed for the house? Maybe a lion's face in honor of me being a Leo and all? Hmmm, maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails