Saturday, February 12, 2011

Grottaglie

Why, yes, I do still have pictures to post from our trip to Italy last year? Procrastinate much? Don't mind if I do.

Just a few from our morning trip to Grottaglie, home of the beautiful ceramics of Puglia. Sofia loved walking around the centro storico of Grottaglie and checking it all out for her second time. Olivia was as snug as a bug in her stroller and barely made a peep. I've been meaning to take a picture of my collection of original Grottaglie pieces I have from over the years, they are gorgeous! I'll save that for another post.


Really. She is my little Italian diva. Those are her "movie star" sunglasses that she insisted upon wearing A LOT.

There is this simple, but breathtaking garden as you enter the one tower of the old city. Grape vines resting above you and beautiful stonework and ceramics on either side of you. Picture perfect. They were set up for a wedding ceremony, so we made our walk through brief. Obviously, we weren't the only ones who thought the place was perfect.

I love all of the old streets in Italy. The exposed walls, old arches and shrubbery growing right out of the stone. So much history and what's awesome is that you can almost see how it might have looked years ago. Many years ago.



Wall art, Grottaglie-style. Took me a second to make out the face. I should have taken pictures of all of them that we came across, different profiles all over the old city.



Sofia and one of her favorite things to see driving around...the Smart Car. Or, how Anthony and I like to call them "Lu Smart." But when you say it like we do, you must place great emphasis on the "lu." Sofia couldn't get enough of them and came up with this game that each time she saw one, she got 10 kisses. Since those cars are EVERYWHERE in Italy, she was getting A LOT of kisses. And yes, we do still play the game here in the US even when it's my father-in-law's Smart car we spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails