Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sofia's first trip to the dentist


This morning Sofia had her first trip to the dentist and I dare say, she was awesome. To say that I was a little concerned with how it would go is a major understatement. Our dentist office waits until 3 or 4 to see them for their first visit and our timing couldn't have been more perfect for Sofia. We had been talking about it a little bit here and there to make her at least aware of what to expect. As we have found out with Sofia, sometimes too much talking or not enough has not worked out so well. But a happy medium with this and it was all good.

She loved the books in the waiting room. Olivia got in on the book-reading action too with her big sister. Then Ms. Joanne called in Sofia. She came running right over to me to hold my hand and with Olivia in my arms, in we went to her first dental visit.

Ms. Joanne counted her teeth. This was something Joanne did with me to get me comfortable on my first visit with her too. Although, I was 30 and not 4 years old!


Olivia sat on the floor and played with stickers the entire time. She was a good little sister too.


Then it was time for the polishing part and Sofia loved it. She said "it tickled!"


Another first for Sofia has come and gone. I almost got teary-eyed seeing her sitting in that big chair in the office. She didn't look quite so tiny in it as I thought she would.

Afterwards, we went straight to the park for some fun in the beautiful weather we've been having. I thought our usual trip to a bakery for something sweet wouldn't have been the best idea since we just came from the dentist's office!

8 comments:

  1. So cute!! What a big girl!

    Eli goes next week and I am so nervous. What do I bribe him with that doesn't rot his teeth? ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It was much better than I thought. I can't stand going to the dentist and was worried by anxiety would rub off on her. Ok for today. We'll see how the next appt goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brava, Sofia mia, she is a big girl know. Love, nonna Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good thing that those books were there to keep her busy while you guys were waiting for the dentist. I guess the best thing about her first visit is that she learned that the dentist is not really scary, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jerri Larimore - Exactly! She was so great and what made me so happy were how awesome the dentist and dental hygienist were with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sofia is already a big girl! That’s why her first dental check-up went smoothly. I think it really helps that we brief our kids about the dentist, about what to expect from dental checkups and how important our oral health is. This is the simplest, yet the best way to get rid of their fear of the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Sofia for a great first visit to the dentist! I'm glad that her first dental experience went smoothly. Here's hoping she keeps a positive attitude about dentist visits for the rest of her life. I hope that Olivia will have as easy a time as Sofia did when her time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like she did great the entire time! It helps a great deal that she's been provided with a bunch of cool stuff while she's on this visit, which helps in making the dental treatment a fun thing for her. Hope she continues to be like that in the future, and that she remains cavity-free on each visit. Cheers!

    Isabel Phelps @ Buckhead Dentist

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails